Personalised medicine and cancer treatment
This one day course is part of Nowgen’s stratified medicine themed training programme.
The course will focus in particular on the use of personalised medicine (pharmacogenetics) to improve the safety and efficacy of drug treatment in oncology; it will also cover the health economic and ethical implications. This is an introductory level course that is suitable for professionals and scientists working within the pharmaceutical industry, research and the healthcare sector.
Introduction to personalised medicine and cancer treatment, Kate Mulryan, Nowgen
Application of personalised medicine to cancer drug development, Dr Mireille Cantarini, AstraZeneca
A personalised medicine approach to the treatment of breast cancer, Dr Sacha Howell, The Christie Hospital, Manchester
A personalised medicine approach to the treatment of bowel cancer, (Dr Mark Saunders, The Christie Hospital, Manchester
Ethical issues for clinical trials that use a personalised medicine approach, Dr Christine Stephens, AstraZeneca
The use of health economics in decision making in personalised medicine, Professor Kathryn Payne, The University of Manchester
Applying cancer companion diagnostics in a genetics laboratory, Dr Emma Howard, Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Companion diagnostic development and delivery, Qiagen (speaker TBC)
- Understand the importance of personalised medicine in cancer treatment.
- Assess the impact of personalised medicine on cancer drug development.
- Be able to give examples illustrating the use of personalised medicine in the treatment of different cancer types.
- Identify the main ethical considerations raised by personalised medicine.
- Explore what health economics is and it’s use in decision making in personalised medicine.
- Learn how companion diagnostics are used to support personalised medicine.
Please review the course programme here
Course fee including lunch & refreshments:
UK Public Sector: £240
Private and overseas: £360
*CMFT and University of Manchester delegates should register by emailing
firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0161 2765956